The other day when I was going to make chicken I thought of making something different apart from the regular chicken curry or chilli chicken or so. This dish came on my mind on the fly when I was sautéing my onions for my regular chicken curry, I thought why not to make a paste out of the masala and then add to it the dish. Also thought why not frying the chicken before adding to the gravy. Since the chicken is fried before making the curry hence the name Spicy Fried Chicken Curry.
Onion – 4 medium
Tomato- 2 medium (or 3 tsp curd)
Green chillies (chopped ) - 1-2
Dry Red Chilli – 2
Bay Leaf – 2
Potato – 4 to 5
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp or more as per your taste
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Clean the chicken pieces nicely and marinate it with salt and a pinch of garam masala powder.
- Chop the onion , tomato and green chilli.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Put Dry red chilli and bay leaf.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minor so.
- Add the onions and sauté till almost brown.
- Add the tomato or curd and green chilli.
- Saute till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,coriander powder,jeera powder and salt.
- Saute nicely till the oil separates and the raw smell of the masalas vanish. You can little water if you feel the masala is burning.
- Switch off the flame and let the onion-tomato masala cool down.
- Meanwhile heat some oil in a different kadai.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry till golden brown. Remove them to a plate.
- Fry the potatoes too till golden brown. Remove them to a plate.
- Grind the onion-tomato masala to a smooth paste.
- In the remaining oil, add the masala paste and sauté for a min or so.
- Add some water and let it come to a boil.
- Add the chicken and potato pieces.
- Reduce flame, cover and cook on very low flame for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a small pan , heat some oil , once hot switch off the flame and add a ½ tsp red chilli powder and the remaining garam masala powder and pour this over the chicken curry.
- Serve hot this delicious Spicy fried chicken curry with rice/roti/naan.